Dual Credit and AP

  • Dual Credit 

    Taking a course as dual credit means that you enroll in a course at Monterey High School while simultaneously enrolling in that course through our partnering college or university. There is an enrollment, registration, and payment process in order to receive the credit on the college level. At the end of the semester, students receive a high school credit and college credit through the partnering school at the same time.

    When students graduate from high school and move on to higher education, they will need to request transcripts from each partnering college and university in order to transfer those credits to their next college or university. One of the main benefits of dual credit is the amount of tuition that students can save by already earning credits before enrolling in college.


    AP Coursework

    All students enrolled in AP courses at Monterey have the option to participate in an AP exam at the end of the year. If students score a 3, 4, or 5 on the exam, then you have potential of earning college credit for the course.  Some universities will awardcollege credit for scoring a 3 on the AP exam, where others may require that you earn a 4 or even a 5. It is important to check with the university that you planning to attend regarding their AP credit policies. More information about AP exams and registration can be found here.


    This form is a great side by side comparison of AP coursework vs. dual credit classes.   AP vs Dual Credit

Dual Credit Partnerships