The History of P.F. Brown
Pettus Franklin Brown was born in Arkansas in December of 1862. He opened the second school in Lubbock, the Canyon School, in 1892. He was not only the first Lubbock teacher to be paid with state funds, he also became principal of Lubbock High School. Brown also served as County Judge from 1894 to 1898 and from 1920 to 1924. In addition, P. F. Brown served as Lubbock County Superintendent of Schools.
P.F. Brown School opened temporary facilities in 1947. The permanent facility was built in 1949 with additions, such as a library, classrooms, and a clinic made throughout the 1950s. A separate gym was constructed in 1989.
Ayers, Samuel J., and Karen Garza. "Brown Elementary School." Lubbock schools' namesakes. Lubbock, TX (Lubbock Christian University Education Building, 5601 West 19th Street, Lubbock 79407): The Knowledge Center, Inc., 2012. 9. Print.
"RootsWeb's WorldConnect Project: RootsWeb's WorldConnect Project Global Search." RootsWeb's WorldConnect Project: RootsWeb's WorldConnect Project Global Search. N.p., 26 Apr. 2008. Web. 22 July 2014. <http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=coaly&id=I96326>.