Dual Credit and Dual Enrollment
WHAT IS DUAL CREDIT?
Dual Credit means that you receive credit for a course on both a high school transcript and a college transcript. Students who successfully complete dual credit courses will have college credit hours that can be used as part of their degree at a two or four-year university.
South Plains College has an agreement with CHS to offer courses for dual credit. Currently, CHS offers the following courses for dual credit.
SPC Course Listing: See Table of Courses and Course Codes
Dual Credit via South Plains requires the process of enrolling at South Plains College at the same time as the student is taking the course at CHS.DO NOT use your LISD email address!
WHAT IS DUAL enrollment?
OnRamps courses are dual enrollment courses (this is different from dual credit courses through South Plains College).
- Students are issued 2 separate grades: A high school grade by the CHS teacher and a college grade by the college instructor.
- Eligibility to continue with the college portion of the course is determined at the end of the first semester by the college instructor. This is based off of student grade. lf you are eligible, you will continue with the course as you did during the first semester. At the end of the 2nd semester, you will have the option to accept the college credit/grade and have it transcribed or reject the college credit and not have it transcribed.
- lf you are not eligible to continue with the college portion, you will remain in the course for a weighted high school credit only. Your payment to the university will not be refunded as it is considered a purchase of the university curriculum.
Steps you need to take:
- Make sure the course you would like to take is on your list of course requests at CHS
- The required fee to take an OnRamps course has not been finalized by the state. Payment in the fall will be required to remain in the course.
UT OnRamps College Course Listing:
- OnRamps Biology (Introductory Biology I + Lab) 4 credit hours (3 for lecture, 1 for lab)
- OnRamps Chemistry (College Chemistry I + Lab) 4 credit hours (3 for lecture, 1 for lab)
- OnRamps Physics (Physics I: Mechanics, Heath, and Sound + Lab) 4 credit hours (3 for lecture, 1 for lab)