Earn College Credit In High School

  • There are two ways to earn college credit while in high school.  Students can take courses for dual credit or earn credit through Advanced Placement (AP) exam scores.

    Dual Credit 
    Dual credit simply means that you enroll in a course at MHS that is offered as a dual credit course, AND you apply for admission to South Plains College and enroll in the same dual credit course through SPC. You pay tuition to SPC for the college course just as you would if you were attending SPC.  At the end of the semester, you receive a high school credit and college credit through SPC at the same time.  This means that you will now have a transcript from SPC to transfer to your college after graduation.  The benefit of dual credit is that the tuition is much cheaper than you would pay being a college student.  


    AP Coursework

    AP college credit means that you enroll in an AP course at MHS. At the end of the year, you will participate in an AP exam. If you score a 3, 4, or 5 on the exam, then you have potential of earning college credit for the course.  This is contingent upon the college you are planning to attend and what they will award you.  Some universities will give you college credit for scoring a 3 on the AP exam, where others may require that you earn a 4 or even a 5.  Check with the university that you planning to attend regarding their AP credit eligibility.

    AP vs. Dual Credit

    This form below  is a great side by side comparison of AP coursework vs. dual credit classes.

    AP vs. Dual Credit Comparison