History Of Atkins Middle School

  •    

    Atkins Middle School

     

    Mascot: Tornados

    Colors: Orange and White

     

    The site for the fifth junior high school in Lubbock was purchased in the fall of 1955 and construction on the building was begun in 1956. It was completed for occupancy for the 1957-58 school year. This building was named for W.B. Atkins who associated with Higginbotham-Bartlett Lumber Company for many years. As were most of the early businessmen in the growing town, Mr. Atkins was a staunch supporter of the city and gave freely of his time to promote those things that would contribute to its growth. He served on the Board of Trustees from 1920 to 1942.

    Principals:

    1957-1977-- Carl M. Bailey
    1977-1983-- Waylon Carroll
    1983-1989-- Bill Carter
    1989-1993-- Jack Booe
    1993-1994-- Eric McKnight
    1994-2002-- David Vasquez
    2002-2006-- Miles Walston
    2006-Present-- Chris Huber