Principals of Bean Elementary
1940-50 Kary Mathis
1950-58 Arthur H. Smith
1958-70 Warner Sims
1970-75 James Baker
1975-82 Thayne Amonett
1982-85 Tom Kendrick
1985-95 Barbara Mezack
1995-96 Severo Alvarado
1996-04 Linda Willett
2004-09 Debbie Alderson
2009-12 Crystal Boles
2012- Tom Thomas
Bean Elementary opened in January of 1940 (Haynes & Strange, architects). A cafeteria and additional classrooms were constructed in 1942. More classrooms and a teacher workroom were added in 1950. In 1989,a new entrance, office and gym were constructed.
George Renshaw Bean
George Renshaw Bean came to the Staked Plains in 1893, when this area was “nothing but a cattle country and countless herds roamed the broad prairies of the plains.” Nineteen year old George “cowboyed” the lonesome plains for four more years, working cattle and mending countless fences. An opportunity arose for this buckaroo to put his one year of high school education to good use and young George accepted the job of teacher in Kent County for $42.50 a month, minus board and horse feed.
Seeing that he had money left at the end of the month, and most assuredly fewer saddle sores, George Bean was encouraged in his job opportunities and accepted a position as teacher in the new township called Lubbock.
Mr. Bean was the third teacher hired by the parents of the district. The wooden structure was school to about 60 students, Mr. Bean, and a part time assistant. In addition to preparing lessons and grading homework, Mr. Bean had to procure water for the students, keep the wood stove burning during cold spells, make sure the building was clean, and keep the parents happy! Mr. Bean explained that he was “superintendent, principal, and janitor all combined.”
After educating the students of Lubbock for several years, Mr. Bean decided that he would become a lawyer. In those days, lawyers had little formal education. They merely read law books and received a law license after passing an examination by a committee. So, after his marriage to Nora Hunt, daughter of this area’s first physician- Dr. William Hunt, George studied the law books for approximately two years. On April 2, 1902, he passed his examination and received his license to practice law. He would later go on to become a judge.
Though he was called on to serve his community in many capacities, including a tenure as board trustee and superintendent, Judge Bean continued to practice law until his retirement from active practice in 1942.
In keeping with the school policy of naming Lubbock elementary schools after former superintendents and school board members, the newly constructed facility built east of College Avenue and south of Nineteenth Street was named for this highly respected Lubbock pioneer, Judge George R. Bean.