Estacado High School, located at 1504 E. Itasca Avenue, opened in the fall of 1967. It was named for the early South Plains community of Estacado, which was located east of Lubbock on the Lubbock-Crosby county line.
Estacado was composed primarily of Quaker settlers. These farmers traveled from Indiana and began arriving in the area in 1879. The community was credited with the first school, first church, first hotel, and first post office in the county. The name, Estacado, is derived from the Spaniards' designation of the area as the Llano Estacado, or Land of the Staked Plains.
The high school was designed for 1,600 students and total cost for the facility was $3.8 million. In addition to the traditional classrooms, the school originally contained a vocational wing with labs and shops for agriculture business, business practice, electronic trades, sheet metal and metal working trades, cabinetry and millwork trades, and automobile body works. The vocational classes were eventually relocated to the ATC facility for access by students from all LISD high school campuses. The medical magnet program was added in the early 1990s. An engineering magnet was piloted at Estacado, and the criminal justice magnet was added in 2007.
Principals - Past and Present
1967-1970: Mr. Olan Rice
1970-1978: Mr. E.W. "Tebo" Reed
1978-1982: Mr. Curtis Gipson
1981-1989: Mr. Carrol Thomas
1989-1999: Mr. Kenneth Wallace
1999-2000: Mr. Wendell Brown
2000-2002: Ms. Carolyn Thompson-Conwright
2002-2007: Mr. Paul Frazier
2007-2010: Mr. David Vasquez
2010-2014: Dr. Sam Ayers
2014-2016: Mr. Jimmy Moore
2016-Present: Mrs. Angelica Wilbanks