Evans MS History
Evans Junior High School was officially named for William H. Evans on August 25, 1960. Mr. Evans was a local attorney and a member of the Lubbock ISD Board of Trustees from 1947 – 1959. He served as president of the board from 1954 - 1957. He was also a member of the State Board of Education.
The site for the school consisted of twenty acres, and the cost of construction was $977,688.83. Classes began at Evans in the fall of 1961 with an enrollment of 650 students. The mascots are Hawks, Falcons, and Eagles. The school colors are scarlet and gold. Mr. E.W. Reed was the first principal.
In 2006, Evans became a Middle School, serving students in grades six through eight.
Principals at Evans
- 1961 – 1970 Mr. E.W. "Tebo" Reed
- 1970 – 1978 Mr. Harry Born
- 1978 – 1986 Dr. Godon Downum
- 1986 – 2003 Mr. G. Q. Nell
- 2003 – 2011 Mr. Leslie Soto
- 2011 – 2019 Ms. Flo Touchstone
- 2019 – Mr. Justin Newman