Dr. J. T. Hutchinson came to Lubbock in the early 1900s to practice medicine. He later specialized in diseases of the eye, ear, nose, and throat. He joined Dr. Overton and Dr. Krueger to build the Lubbock Sanitarium (hospital), which eventually developed into Methodist Hospital (Covenant Medical Center). Dr. Hutchinson took an early interest in the Lubbock public schools, serving on the Board of Trustees from 1914-1947, and as President of the Board for many of those years.Hutchinson was designed by the Lubbock architecture firm of Haynes and Kirby. Construction on the school began in 1947, and was completed in 1948. A band/orchestra hall was added in 1965 while a CVAE shop was added in 1972. Additionally, a field house and air conditioning were added in 1989. In 2006, the band hall was extended and remodeled.
The school was constructed to better meet the needs of the growing junior high student population. While the building was under construction, students attended half-day sessions in the old Lubbock Junior High School building located at 14th and Avenue T (now the Pete Ragus Aquatic Center). It was then named Carroll Thompson Junior High School in honor of the principal (1932-1947).For thirty-two years, Hutchinson served as one of the LISD junior high schools offering 7th-9th grade students a traditional curriculum. However, in 1980, Hutchinson became the first magnet junior high school in LISD with an academic focus. A short time later, the fine arts emphasis was added to the magnet offering. The magnet designation meant that in addition to enrolling students from the feeder elementary schools, students who met magnet criteria and wanted a more challenging curriculum, from throughout the district could apply to attend Hutchinson.
In 2006, Hutchinson, along with the other nine LISD junior high schools, was converted into a middle school serving 6th-8th grade students. Hutchinson Middle School continues to serve LISD as a magnet school with an academic and fine arts focus. The Core Knowledge supplemental curriculum was an additional feature of the magnet program until the school applied for the International Baccalaureate Middle Years programme in 2014. In 2016, J.T. Hutchinson became an authorized IB MYP World school, with an emphasis on inquiry-based problem solving and international-mindedness. Two of the feeder elementary campuses, Roscoe Wilson and Ramirez are authorized IB Primary Years programme schools. Lubbock ISD has the only International Baccalaureate continuum in West Texas with two Primary Years programmes, Hutchinson Middle School, which serves as the authorized Middle Years programme and Lubbock High School, which offers the IB Diploma programme. All of these campuses are in close proximity to Texas Tech University. J.T. Hutchinson's diverse student population, rich course offerings and the IB MYP make it the most sought-after middle school in the area. The tradition of excellence continues with high expectations and outstanding student achievements in academics and the fine arts year after year.
Lubbock County was officially designated as a county in 1891, and a school board was organized. The first school met in the county jail in 1891, and was taught by Miss Minnie Tubbs. Once the cell blocks arrived in January 1892, classes were moved to a one-room building located at Avenue J and Main Street. A different teacher was hired to teach the students each year.
By 1907, the school had expanded to three rooms, and the citizens petitioned the Legislature for creation of an independent school district in Lubbock County. On April 4, 1907, the 30th Legislature passed H. B. 591 creating and incorporating Lubbock Independent School District and defining its boundaries. In 1909, the three-room building burned down and a new eight-room school was constructed. The next year, the first Lubbock High School, located on the 1600 block of 13th Street was constructed of brick. The first graduating class, consisting of twelve students, graduated from Lubbock High School in 1912. The Lubbock Independent School District has continued to grow since the first classes were held in the county jail. Today, the Lubbock Independent School District consists of nearly 29,000 students and over 2000 teachers. They are served in four high schools, eleven middle schools, thirty-five elementary schools, and four early learning centers.
(Special thanks for historical information to Frances Wilson)
Mrs. Heidi Dye 2008- present
Dr. Sam Ayers 2005-2008
Mr. Miguel Bustillos 2000-2005
Mr. Neal Logan 1989-2000
Mr. Wayne Havens 1987-89
Mr. Roy Grimes 1961-87
Mr. E. W. Reed 1957-61
Mr. W. H. Howorth 1955-57
Mr. Jay Gordon 1948-1955