McWhorter Elementary School

B. O. McWhorter ES History

  • McWhorter Elementary was built in 1944. The school is named for Burton Owen McWhorter, a civic leader from pioneer days. Mr. McWhorter showed a strong interest in providing school facilities for the little town of Lubbock since he had settled in the area.  He was one of the leaders in an effort to secure property for the construction of a new school building following a fire which destroyed the original frame building.

    Burton Owen McWhorter, cattleman, was born November 10, 1867, in Denton County, Texas.  At the age of twenty, along with his parents, he became a part of the pioneer migration to the South Plains.  Mainly a cattleman, Mr. McWhorter is credited with drilling the first irrigation well in the county, he also helped established the first electric and ice plant.  He was a member of the First Methodist Church and a leading civic worker. He was active in bringing the railroad to this county.  Following pneumonia, he died February 3, 1940 and as a memorial to this pioneer leader, Burton Owen McWhorter Elementary was named for him.

    Mrs. Reuby Rhodes was named the first principal, she served until the spring of 1952 school year.  Mr. Alfred C. Smith served as principal from the fall of 1952 through the spring of 1972.  Mr. Ramon Orosco was then named  principal in the fall of  1972 through the end of the 1983 school year. Mr. Bill Gonzales began his term as principal in 1983 and served through the end of the 1999 school year.   Mr. Luis Cardenas was appointed in 1999 and served as principal until the spring of 2012. Mrs. Del Lopez led the McWhorter staff and students from fall of 2012 and retired in the spring of 2014. Karla Mann assumed the role as principal in the fall of 2014.



  • Our namesake, Mr. McWhorter was featured in the Lubbock Avalanche Journal in 2011.