Parsons Elementary School was built at 2811 58th Street in 1958 and opened for classes in the fall of 1959. The school was named after Lubbock resident E. J. Parsons. Mr. Parsons served on the LISD Board of Trustees from 1934-1949. Parsons was an influential businessman in the community and was the manager of J. C. Penney's Company. Parsons was the manager of J. C. Penney's from the time he came to Lubbock until his retirement. In addition to his business activities, Parsons was active in civic affairs, supporting many. He was active supporter of many important community projects.