School History

  • Rush Elementary Located in northwest Lubbock at the intersection of 15th Street and Toledo Avenue, Rush Elementary School offers numerous innovative educational programs, including advanced technology and early literacy instructional programs.

    Founded Dec. 19, 1957, the school is named for George A. Rush, a pioneering citizen of Lubbock. Student, faculty, staff and administrators at Rush strive to honor the namesake of the school by committing themselves to continuing his spirit of community service. Eleven principals have led Rush since its inception. Mary McGann has been the principal since 2011.

    The original building had 22 classrooms, but a 1998 addition added 10 more classrooms. The campus also includes a gymnasium, two Internet-accessible computer labs, a library and a cafeteria.

    At Rush, parental involvement is recognized as a vital component of each student's instructional program. Parents are encouraged to participate in volunteer programs sponsored by the Rush parent teacher association.