In the fall of 1959 an elementary school was opened at 46th Street and Utica Avenue with construction of a permanent building beginning in May of 1960. The new building was completed for occupancy in the fall of 1961. This building was named for Dr. Allen T. Stewart, a pediatrician who served the people of Lubbock for many years. In addition to his medical practice, Dr. Stewart was active in many civic affairs. He served on the Board of Trustees of the district from 1932 to 1941
Mr. Howard Day opened the temporary facility as half-time principal. After the permanent building was completed, he served as full-time principal for the school through the 1970-71 school year. Dan R. Murry was appointed to the position in the fall of 1971 and served through the 1973-74 school year. He was succeeded by Jerry R. Hale in the fall of 1974. Mr. Hale served through January of 1982 when he left the Lubbock schools. Virginia Lauderdale completed the second semester of 1981-82 as principal, and Ed Stokes served as principal in 1982-83. Mr. Hale returned to the system in the fall of 1983 and was reassigned to Stewart. He remained principal at Stewart until his retirement in May 1999. Mrs. Toni Hancock was named and served until 2004. In the fall of 2004, Mrs. Johnna Weatherbee became the principal of Stewart Elementary and served until 2010. Mr. Stace McEwin was named principal in the summer of 2010. He served as principal until summer of 2012. Mrs. Debbie Wheeler served as principal of Stewart from 2010 until the summer of 2017. Mrs. Jaci Underwood is the current principal.
A Merging of Campuses
In the 2002 school year, Stubbs Elementary School sent many students and teachers to Stewart because of its closing. Mr. Harold Young was principal of Stubbs at the time of its closing. He moved to Stewart and served as the transition principal until his retirement in spring, 2003.