The Lubbock ISD Board of Trustees voted to approve the renaming the Lubbock High School baseball field to Dr. E.C. Leslie Westerner Field.
Dr. E.C. Leslie served the Lubbock Independent School District for more than 30 years. He began his career in 1957 as an American History teacher and baseball coach at Lubbock High School. In 1961 he became the counselor at Lubbock High and later served as the school’s assistant principal and principal. After serving as the principal at Lubbock High for four years, Dr. Leslie became the assistant superintendent for Lubbock ISD. In 1984, he was named superintendent and he served in that role until his retirement in 1989.
Prior to his career in Lubbock ISD, Dr. Leslie signed a contract with the Pittsburgh Pirates at the age of 19 and played on their minor league team for two years. He left baseball in 1952 to serve in the U.S. Army during the Korean War for two years. He retuned to baseball and play for two additional years in the minor leagues. It was during his time with the Lubbock Hubbers that Leslie decided to make Lubbock his home.
“Westerner Field” became the official home to the Lubbock High School baseball program in April of 1997. The property is located at 801 North University Avenue.